IPv6 enabled

I have now upgraded my ADSL to IPv6 with the Technicolour Router, so thought it would make sense to make my website IPv6 enabled as well.

Unfortunately 5quidhost are not yet IPv6 ready, and they explained that it was related to cpanel support, as they use cpanel for their hosting.

Luckily Tagdab offer IPv6 hosting support, so I decided to migrate my site to them.

Tagadab do VPS hosting which is pretty good as it gives access to the root of the system instead of just access via cpanel.    They give a choice of Ubuntu or Debian, so I thought I may as well go with Debian although I use Ubuntu for my desktop PC.   Debian seems a bit more fiddly than Ubuntu to set up on a desktop as I did not seem to be able to get the GPU fan to spin down which was annoying, although there is probably a way of solving this

Getting WordPress set up on the VPS was not exactly straightforward, but it now seems to work OK.   The most fiddly part seemed to be getting “pretty permalinks” enabled, but the answer was found here http://wordpress.org/support/topic/solved-permalinks-working-in-apache2-ubuntu-1010 and the final post on that page had the answer!

The part of the file /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default that needs editing is this bit:

<Directory /var/www/>
Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
AllowOverride All
Order allow,deny
allow from all

(the bit in bold that says “All” was previously saying “None”, but once I edited this word the site worked properly once apache was restarted usingthe command /etc/init.d/apache2 restart )

The main thing is to make sure the wordpress files are in the /var/www/ folder and also to delete or rename the default index.html file as I kept getting the standard apache “it works” page served up instead of my blog!

As I only have one website I did not bother setting up “virtual hosts” although this could be handy for someone with more than one site.

A handy tool worth having is phpmyadmin as this enabled me to import my sql database file that I backed up from 5quidhost.   The only other step required to restore my data was to copy the media folder that stored all the photos on my blog.   I have a new media folder for each month which is one of the options in WordPress, so it was just the 02 2012 (feb 2012) media folder I needed to copy over.